Connect with us

News

Steve Bannon hails Dominic Cummings and predicts lurch to proper for No 10 | Steve Bannon

Published

on

Steve Bannon, who has beforehand backed a variety of infamous far-right political figures, has publicly endorsed Dominic Cummings for the primary time, calling him a “good man”.

Donald Trump’s former chief strategist additionally mentioned that Boris Johnson will develop into an more and more populist prime minister after jettisoning his political positioning as a “globalist” to “opportunistically bounce on Brexit”.

However Bannon, who helped mastermind Trump’s profitable bid for the presidency, reserved his highest reward for Johnson’s most senior aide.

“An excellent man. I feel Cummings could be very sensible the place he places his efforts. What I like about him is he has the flexibility to give attention to the primary issues,” Bannon mentioned, hailing the Downing Avenue strategist for his position in Brexit and Johnson’s 2019 election triumph.

The feedback had been made throughout interviews for a book to be printed on Thursday which investigates how unaccountable cash, lobbying and information has reshaped British politics.

Written by Open Democracy journalist Peter Geoghegan, Democracy for Sale paperwork how darkish cash has corrupted the democratic system and options a number of interviews with Bannon, though his feedback on Cummings – made earlier this yr – got here too late for inclusion.

Bannon has fostered intensive hyperlinks to international far-right nationalist actions in an try to unite “the Judeo-Christian West”. He has additionally described UK Islamophobe Tommy Robinson because the “spine” of Britain, defended Viktor Orbán, Hungary’s nationalist prime minister, and praised anti-immigration French politician Marine Le Pen, amongst others.

Nonetheless, Bannon refused to say if he’s presently advising the UK’s prime minister or has met Cummings. Final yr evidence emerged suggesting shut hyperlinks between Johnson and the person who led Trump’s 2016 marketing campaign. Bannon even claimed to have crafted speeches for the prime minister.

The interviews throw up key similarities between Bannon and Cummings. Chief amongst them is the will to reform the UK civil service. Bannon advocates demolishing it totally, arguing the “administrative state must be taken aside brick by brick”.

Dismantling the UK civil service is one in all Cummings major ambitions. On the finish of June its head,Mark Sedwill, quit with Cummings reportedly then telling colleagues that “a tough rain is coming” for the service.

One other frequent theme emerges with Bannon’s views on Brexit. “There’s one alternative: laborious out, no deal. It received’t be disruptive,” says Bannon, who was fired as a prime adviser to Trump in 2017 following white supremacist protests in Charlottesville, Virginia.

Cummings is believed to have privately championed a no-deal final result and the EU’s chief negotiator lately revealed that the 2 sides had been “still far away” from settlement with lower than three months to go earlier than a 31 October deadline.

Dominic Cummings’ role in Brexit and the 2019 general election result has been praised by Breitbart founder Steve Bannon.
Dominic Cummings’ position in Brexit and the 2019 common election end result has been praised by Breitbart founder Steve Bannon. {Photograph}: Luke Dray/Getty Photographs

Bannon urges Johnson to focus extra on manufacturing quite than making certain that Britain resembles a “Singapore on the Thames”, shorthand for a low-tax, calmly regulated financial system.

Politically, Bannon sees Johnson transferring ever additional to the suitable, growing “extra financial nationalistic tendencies” and predicting that “Boris will adapt his insurance policies to develop into extra populist over time”.

The previous funding banker additionally says that by learning the response to earlier monetary crashes he knew there can be an inevitable populist rising following the 2007-2008 disaster.

Bannon says he started visiting the UK regularly in 2013 and assembly people like Ukip chief Nigel Farage and his supporters James Delingpole and Raheem Kassam, who would both be hired by Bannon to work for a British model of the rightwing information website Breitbart.

Bannon additionally says he hung out assembly members of the Younger Britons’ Basis, described by some as a “Tory madrasa” used to show younger Conservatives the “darkish arts” of politics.

Bannon mentioned that in 2014 he seen the supporters on Farage’s marketing campaign trial for the European elections had been equally offended to US protesters in the course of the recession after the monetary crash. “They had been the precise Tea Social gathering crowds of 2010, the place we had had this large populist revolt,” he mentioned.

Sensing the general public temper, Johnson and Cummings got here on board with Vote Leave, the official marketing campaign to depart the EU.

“Guys like Boris and Dominic Cummings got here they usually had been crucial however they had been fairly late to the get together,” mentioned Bannon, whose Breitbart resolutely backed the marketing campaign to depart the EU.

On the day that article 50 was triggered, Farage was filmed with a pint of beer thanking Bannon and Breitbart. “You helped with this. Massively,” he mentioned.

Bannon additionally admits that he briefly met Aaron Banks, the insurance coverage businessman who co-founded the pro-Brexit Depart.EU marketing campaign.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Son of Angola’s ex-leader jailed for 5 years

Published

on

José Filomeno dos Santos, also known as Zenu, was head of Angola's Sovereign Wealth Fund from 2013 to 2018
José Filomeno dos Santos, also referred to as Zenu, was head of Angola’s Sovereign Wealth Fund from 2013 to 2018

The son of Angola’s former president has been jailed for 5 years for fraud from when he was head of the oil-rich nation’s Sovereign Wealth Fund.

José Filomeno dos Santos, 42, was accused of making an attempt to embezzle as much as $1.5bn (£1.1bn) whereas overseeing the $5bn fund from 2013 to 2018.

He was charged with stealing $500m from the fund and transferring it to a checking account in Switzerland.

Dos Santos’ father, José Eduardo dos Santos, led the nation for 38 years.

José Eduardo dos Santos was president from 1979 till he resigned in 2017, to get replaced by the person he had handpicked for the job, his former defence minister Joao Lourenço.

José Filomeno dos Santos, also referred to as Zenu, spent seven months in jail over the corruption allegations earlier than being freed in March.

He was the primary member of the previous presidential household to be prosecuted as a part of an anti-corruption marketing campaign led by President Lourenço.

It was broadly seen as a take a look at of Angola’s dedication to combating corruption.

The case is part of an anti-corruption campaign led by President Joao Lourenço
The case is a part of an anti-corruption marketing campaign led by President Joao Lourenço

Sentencing Dos Santos on the nation’s Supreme Court docket, Justice Joao da Cruz Pitra mentioned: “For the crime of fraud… and for the crime of peddling affect… the authorized cumulus condemns him to a single sentence of 5 years in jail.”

Three co-defendants had been additionally accused of fraud, embezzlement and affect peddling – together with the previous governor of the nationwide financial institution of Angola (BNA) Valter Filipe da Silva.

They had been every sentenced to between 4 and 6 years in jail.

All 4 defendants had been acquitted of cash laundering fees. They beforehand denied any wrongdoing.

President Lourenço fired one other of his predecessor’s youngsters, Isabel dos Santos, believed to be Africa’s richest lady, from her place as head of the state oil big Sonango in November 2017 over alleged embezzlement.

Ms Dos Santos denies any wrongdoing. She now lives overseas after saying that her life had been threatened.

The previous president can also be believed to have left the nation.

Continue Reading

News

UK coronavirus dwell: France may quarantine British travellers in retaliation over new guidelines | World information

Published

on

Massive swathes of northern England and Leicester will stay beneath tighter lockdown for a 3rd week as coronavirus an infection charges proceed to climb sharply in some districts, the Division of Well being and Social Care (DHSC) has introduced.

The choice was taken by Matt Hancock, the well being secretary, in collaboration with native leaders after circumstances did not drop sufficiently.

The measures – initially introduced in with just a few hours’ discover on 31 July – will “assist defend native residents, and permit extra time for the adjustments to have an impact, chopping transmission amongst households”, the DHSC stated.

The restrictions proceed to have an effect on residents in Higher Manchester; Calderdale, Kirklees and Bradford in West Yorkshire; Leicester; and the next areas of east Lancashire: Blackburn with Darwen, Burnley, Hyndburn, Pendle, Preston and Rossendale.

Casinos, skating rinks, bowling alleys, exhibition halls, convention centres and indoor play areas is not going to be permitted to open in these areas. Elsewhere in England they’ll open from Saturday.

Individuals within the affected areas is not going to be permitted to combine with different households (other than these of their assist bubble) inside non-public properties or gardens. They’ll nonetheless capable of meet others in teams of as much as six people, or two households, in out of doors public locations.

Swimming pools, indoor gyms and different leisure amenities in addition to nail bars, spas and wonder salons will proceed to stay closed in Bradford, Blackburn with Darwen, and Leicester.

Shielding can even proceed for people in Blackburn with Darwen, and Leicester.

Continue Reading

News

Palestinians warn Israel-UAE deal imperils Jerusalem’s Al-Aqsa mosque

Published

on

* Palestinians see Al-Aqsa as pinnacle of future state

* Worshippers slam UAE leaders over take care of Israel

* Fear deal might threaten their entry to sacred website

* Burn effigies of Trump, Netanyahu, Abu Dhabi crown prince

By Rami Ayyub

JERUSALEM, Aug 14 (Reuters) – Indignant Palestinians in Jerusalem accused the United Arab Emirates of collaborating with Israel and endangering Al-Aqsa mosque – Islam’s third-holiest website – as they gathered for Friday prayers the day after the Gulf state’s take care of Israel.

Below an settlement brokered by U.S. President Donald Trump, Israel and the UAE introduced on Thursday that they are going to normalise diplomatic ties, introduced collectively by a confluence of pursuits in opposition to Iran.

The deal additionally envisions giving Muslims better entry to Jerusalem’s Al-Aqsa mosque by permitting them to straight fly from Abu Dhabi to Tel Aviv’s Ben Gurion Airport.

This was greeted with dismay by Palestinian worshippers submitting into the tree-lined hilltop compound in Jerusalem’s walled Previous Metropolis recognized to Muslims as al-Haram al-Sharif (Noble Sanctuary) and to Jews because the Temple Mount.

“Our brothers within the Emirates put our blessed mosque within the grip of dying,” stated Kamal Attoun, 60, an East Jerusalem Palestinian and Previous Metropolis service provider.

Requested if he would welcome Muslims from the Emirates or the Gulf below such circumstances, Attoun stated: “You have seen how collaborators from Saudi Arabia have been acquired up to now. The identical destiny awaits the Emiratis.”

He was referring to a pro-Israel Saudi web influencer who was reportedly taunted as he walked by means of the Previous Metropolis compound final yr.

Palestinians have lengthy sought East Jerusalem, the place the Previous Metropolis is situated, as capital of a future state and have appeared to Arab nations to defend that stance. In the event that they normalise ties with Israel, Palestinians concern shedding any probability of future sovereignty within the metropolis and assured entry to Al Aqsa mosque.

Mohammad al-Sharif, 45, a member of Israel’s Arab minority, stated he wouldn’t maintain it in opposition to peculiar Muslims from the Gulf “as a result of their rulers made a mistake”.

However he was scathing about their leaders.

“Collaboration with the UAE is worse, 100 instances worse than collaborating with Israel. That Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed and his soiled canines look out for themselves and their pursuits and the remainder of us can go to hell,” he stated, referring to Abu Dhabi’s crown prince.

The highest Islamic official in Jerusalem, Sheikh Abdul-Azim Salhab of the Islamic Waqf, advised Reuters he does “not settle for the blessed Al-Aqsa mosque to be the topic of political bickering. It’s larger than this tug-of-war.”

Condemnation additionally got here from Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas, whose spokesman on Thursday learn out a press release from the management on Palestinian tv calling the deal a “betrayal of Jerusalem, Al-Aqsa and the Palestinian trigger”.

Palestinians throughout Gaza and the occupied West Financial institution rallied on Friday in opposition to the deal. Protesters within the metropolis of Nablus burned effigies of Trump, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed.

ISRAELIS DELIGHTED

In the meantime, Israel embraced the deal, with the nation’s biggest-selling day by day, Yedioth Ahronoth, calling it a “daring breakthrough”.

Some analysts stated Netanyahu risked angering his supporters by strolling again pledges to annex land within the West Financial institution – territory sought by Palestinians for a state – in order to do a take care of an Arab Gulf nation.

“He gained a couple of factors with the centre-left, which loves agreements with Arabs, however he misplaced many extra factors together with his base of right-wing voters,” wrote Ben Caspit in Maariv.

Netanyahu, dogged by an ongoing corruption trial and criticised for his dealing with of the coronavirus pandemic, has hailed the settlement as a private success in integrating Israel within the Center East.

On his Arabic-language Twitter account he credited Israel’s overseas intelligence service Mossad with serving to to clinch the deal.

Below spy chief Yossi Cohen, Netanyahu stated, the Mossad helped develop Israel’s relations with the Gulf and “ripen the peace settlement with the Emirates”. (Extra reporting by Ali Sawafta in Ramallah; Writing by Stephen Farrell and Rami Ayyub; Modifying by Mark Heinrich)

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2020 Amila Dayananda